Whey Protein (Dutch Chocolate) Overview: Benefits, Side Effects, Dosages & More

Woodwell Supplements Whey Protein (Dutch Chocolate)

"Not all proteins are created equally, and whey is one of the best. With a full range of essential amino acids and superior absorption, you'll be hard-pressed to find a more effective protein powder." 

-Article written by Ethan Wood, CPT & Registered Nutritionist


What Is Whey?


Whey is the liquid part of milk that is separated during the production of cheese. 

It makes up about 20% of the protein content coming from milk, with the other 80% being Casein.


Whey is considered a complete protein because it contains all nine essential amino acids. There are twenty total amino acids (oftentimes referred to as the building blocks of proteins) yet our bodies are able to produce eleven of these. This means we must intake the remaining nine through diet or supplementation.


Typically, whey protein powders are used as a way to increase daily protein intake, and are generally well-tolerated.


NOTE: Because whey is derived from milk, lactose-intolerant and dairy-allergic individuals may want to substitute with another complete protein such as egg or pea.


Why Use a Protein Supplement?


The average person looking to improve health and/or body composition should be consuming 0.7g-1g of protein per 1lb of body weight each day1. (For example, if you weigh 150lbs, ideally you'd be consuming around 105g - 150g of protein per day) However, due to heavy processing of our foods and poor American diets, the vast majority of people don't reach this goal, or even come close.


Thankfully, protein powders are here to save the day. Most protein blends contain at least 20g of protein in each scoop with a relatively small amount of calories. This means that individuals supplementing their protein intake are able to reach their consumption goals while remaining below their daily caloric limits, which is awesome for body composition. And did we mention that many proteins have excellent flavors too? From chocolates to vanillas, berries to desserts, you can rest assured there's a protein powder out there that aligns with your taste preferences and will fit into your lifestyle.


What Makes Our Whey Protein Stand Out?


Now that we have some background information, let's learn more about what makes a protein powder good.


Our Whey Protein Concentrate is highly isolated so that you can reach your protein consumption goals while managing caloric intake. With 22g of complete protein, no added sugars, and only 110 calories in each scoop, they offer some of the most refined and goal-oriented proteins on the market. 


This whey is sourced from grass-fed, non-GMO cows to ensure proper absorption, a highly nutrient-dense profile, and minimal digestive upset. Remember, any product can only be as good as the sum of its parts, so it's important to always make sure a supplement is sourced properly.


Oh, and you can't go wrong with the flavor either. We use a Dutch cocoa powder alongside stevia extract to flavor and sweeten. This combination provides a smooth, natural dark chocolate flavor that sweetens as you drink it and leaves a delightful chocolatey aftertaste. Who doesn't love chocolate?


Are There Any Side Effects of Supplementation?


Protein is an essential macronutrient in our diets and can be safely consumed without concern for side effects. A small amount of people may experience slight digestive upset, but this should be minimal in both severity and duration. 

However, this whey product is derived from dairy so lactose-intolerant or dairy-allergic individuals may want to choose Our Vegan Pea Protein instead!


Flavor Profile


We use a Dutch cocoa powder alongside stevia extract to flavor and sweeten this whey protein. We chose this blend of ingredients due to its ability to remain delicious and satisfying without coming off as too sweet or artificial. Depending on how much liquid is used, and whether that liquid is milk or water, our Whey Protein Dutch Chocolate flavor will:


1. Begin with the liquid's flavor

2. Gradually transition to a smooth, darker chocolate flavor

3. Start becoming sweeter

4. End with a pleasant chocolate aftertaste


NOTE: While we create flavor profiles to help ensure our customers know what they're getting, flavor is highly subjective and we can't guarantee you'll agree with our assessment.


Grab This Whey Protein Now!


Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.